.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Saturday, September 09, 2006

 

I am Alive

Yes, yes. I'm back from yet another trip. (I refuse to call them vacations because if it doesn't last longer than 3 weeks it doesn't count). This one was a visit to a friend's lake house just outside Yellowknife. We spent the long weekend there and unbeknownst to me there were two other couples present. people we'd known from years ago here... even better, they both had teenage boys so, The Spawn, had someone to entertain him instead of badgering me like I'm frickin Julie from the love boat.

Needless to say, when the young'uns are occupied a great many more drinks are consumed. A great time was had by me in any case.

So I got back on Wednesday, sans DHM, and on Thursday I was back out at the airport to pick up two guests who were up for the DHM's annual fishing camp trip. Did I mention that DHM wasn't here? Not a huge problem, one of the guests was a dear friend from years ago (well he's still a dear friend, he just doesn't live here anymore). The other guest a friend of his. Okay fishermen here. check. pilot to fly them out to camp. not check.

The story gets better. This fishing trip has been going on for over 9 years. different people in different numbers, but always the first or second weekend in September. It's DHM's bond-with-the-boys weekend. Grunt, make fire, catch own food, primal roots sort of weekend. To be fair, DHM has been extremely busy with his business this year, but jayz, he could have told them he didn't insure the plane. The plane isn't even in the water yet (and won't be this season, not this late)... so these guys have been looking forward to this trip for months, and it aint happening. Happily they quickly found alternative options and are now at a cabin on Ya Ya lakes (above the treeline.. which is freaky weird).

Okay that's my lament for the night. In other news I just finished watching V for Vendetta. I knew it would disturb me, and I was right (as always). I'm torn between making the obvious parallel between the Bush govts. rule of fear, and the perspective of life in a society from the dissident's point of view. I still haven't decided which I'm more comfortable with.

What else is new? Umm my house was once again used as cookout central whilst I was away. I can't really complain as they leave the kitchen cleaner than I do... but the left overs are always suspect, ya know?

K that's it for me, for now.

X

Comments:
Yay! Glad you're back. I missed you!

I love your distinction between "trip" and "Vacation"

Unless you count Mexico when I was 8, I've never been on a vacation! Just a bunch of little trips. :)

We haven't seen V for Vendetta yet, but it's somewhere on our list. This of course after we finish watching the DVDs of season 1 and 2 of Wings! :)

Today is a day a bit like the one when we discovered my windows are skinny-making-mirrors...I'm sitting here looking out my window considering going out there for a punch of vanity indulged. :)

I'm rambling.
 
How fondly I remember that skinny window.

V for Vendetta... I'm still pondering it. In many ways it's far too deep for me. Maybe I'll just have to accept the surface premise of an oppressive Govt. and the hero that rallied the people.

West Wing.. lucky you. the first two seasons are brilliant. Screw-ups and compromises abound (much like how a real Govt. works I imagine).. in later seasons they became the more 'unbeleivable' good guys.
 
I have heard such wonderful things about V for Vendetta as far as it makes you think and has some powerful message if you are willing to dig deep.

I am looking forward to seeing for myself.

I used to love West Wing but lost track of the show when they switched it's time slot ... I should get the DVDs.

Rae
 
Don't know if you ever saw my review, but we all loved V.

As for the leftovers, if it ain't growing fur, nuke it 'til it glows and feed it to the dog :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?