.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, June 08, 2006

 

The Nature of Things.

Most of my imaginery (online) friends live in urban settings. So this post, Im sure, will draw a few oohs and awws.

I live surrounded by nature. To me it's not a wonderous thing to visit and admire on weekends, it's something that has to be dealt with every day. Take yesterday morning.

6:00am I wake up. This is unusual. I don't even wake up when the stupid smoke detector goes off becaues DHM is burning yet another aluminum tea kettle. So I wake up for no reason I can detect as yet... seeing as I'm awake I go potty. But I lay back in bed and start pondering why the hell I woke me up, cause I just don't wake up at 6am no matter how full my bladder may be (and it wasn't that full).

Ears are on alert. What roused me from my glorious needed sleep? I hear random tap thwack thunds... hmm perhaps the Spawn is up and about. Except I don't hear the comforting rhythm of his steps accompanying those odd thwacks... hmm not the spawn then. What could it be?

OMG! someone is in the house. That must have been what woke me. I heard the front door go, and now I'm hearing someone rustling through our stuff... not so. I get up to investigate, and just as I enter the living room I a see a bird make three fast runs at our living room window. Thunk, thunk, thunk.

Yes, yes, procede with your awws here. Stupid bloody bird. He's been making this same attempt for over a half hour by now with the same results. Being as I'm a compassionate person, I went and opened the window so whatever reflection he thought he was seeing would be obscured... It's 6:30 folks. I'm tired, and by now just a little testy. I go back to bed hoping to get another hours sleep. I hear several more thwacks and think 'fuck it', just die if you're that stupid.

haven't seen the Robin since, and no, there's no carcass unerneath the window. I checked.

X

Comments:
Once a year, we get dueling woodpeckers on our roof. They fight it out at sun-up. Since this happens during the summer, that's what, 5 AM or thereabouts? The bastards. We have a fireplace in our master bedroom, and that's where one of them likes to hang out. He can make a really BIG noise (and outdo his competition) by whacking on the metal flue-thingy, whatever it's called. You're a WOODpecker, asshole, but I can't reason with the dude. I built a fire last time . . . that worked. He hasn't been back.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?