.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, April 30, 2006

 

Mona Lisa

So I read, 'The Da Vinci Code' last week and spent most of today watching National Geographic channel exploring all kinds of grail myths, and supposed Bible cover ups.

Sadly the book doesn't live up to its hype. Under other circumstances (ie no hype) I think I would have loved it. Perhaps that's the way new comers to JK Rowlins feel, that, 'what's with all the big whoop?' sentiment. But I was lucky enough to get in on the ground floor of that elevator. I appreciated the scope of the imaginary world she created, and delighted in reading it to the Spawn. Now however, I hesitate to even mention my liking for the books because there is such a literary backlash surrounding her [the books] success.

Back to the Da Vinci Code. The ancient 'secret' really appealed to my anti-catholic church sentiments, and the oppression of my feminine self. (well females in general, but it IS all about me.) Then there was the whole, modern day, cloak and dagger aspect of it. Two poor schmos on the run, not knowing who they can trust. The well crafted scenario that the very people one would normally turn to for help, people in power, with the knowledge to help, being the very place they can't turn, even suspects themselves.

Juicy stuff.

But there was all that hype and, well, I expected more. I'm not sure what exactly. More of an attack against the church. More finger pointing at the church in the present day murder. Just more to justify all the outrage surrounding the story. Unless of course the outrage is to do with the fictional secret, (no I don't believe it.)

My advice? If you like well crafted conspiracy mysteries, wait five years, I'm sure you'll really enjoy it then, when all the hoopla is but a dim memory.

As for the shows I watched, well some had merit, some were simply lurid sensationalism. Okay, I'm predisposed to look upon the teachings of Christianity with a very jaundiced eye. I was blessed with a questioning mind, and as a child questioned everything that didn't 'make sense', which is basically the whole Bible LOL. Sadly, for my immortal soul, the answers given by mostly ill prepared and condescending adults were unsatisfactory. And so they lost me, as, over the years, I supplied my own answers. So watching programs about the gnosis writings, disregarded gospels, and investigations on the truth of the da vinci code secret, really leant credence to all my deep rooted mistrust of everything 'churchified'. And church representatives do nothing to further their arguments--their rightness (at least not to me). When will they learn to just shut up. Don't they understand yet that their denials have less credibility than the CIAs? And like the CIA have in fact become big flaming admissions.

So that's how I spent my weekend, what did you do?

X

Comments:
Did you happen to read the book 'The Holy Blood & The Holy Grail'? This book is written by the people that actually to Dan Brown to court with the recent plagerism claim.

I should send Jason over to you and you to could have a great discussion. He has read quite a few books on the subject and is not dissimilar to you in your views.

Hmm wonder if thats why we get on well. LOL
 
Dang wish I could edit my comment. "The people who took Dan Brown to Court" is what I should have said.
 
haven't read it, but almost want to just for discussion's sake.

Nothing interesting to say about it as it is... but felt the need to comment...I'm so lame.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?