.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

 

The Differences Between Us.



I was over reading Paperback Writer's blog when this line leapt out at me, "It was in the literature section, and I was in no state to read something plotless and depressing."

This sums up in many ways my feelings toward modern 'literature'. I've read a great many of the classics because I felt I wasn't a well rounded reader if I didn't. A lot I enjoyed, but many also fell into the above category. I've tried, time and again to read what my friends deem 'suitable reading'--literature. The thing is, I find most of it valium for the eyes. I mean, please, I ask you, Angela's Ashes, Bridges of Madison County? I've clipped toe nails that were more interesting and dramatic.

Which makes me wonder about my friends. Seriously.

These are intelligent, funny people. We laugh at stupid movies, hell we laugh at just about everything. Our one liners are legendary. How can we be so far apart when it comes to reading enjoyment. Are they (like I used to), reading these because they feel they should? Eternally hoping that just one of them will be everything the NYT critic said it would be. Or is it so that when they go to dinner parties they can all discuss, intellectually of course, the same book and impress each other with their insights. (wow, that was catty.) and on another side note, the only thing these friends I'm talking about have in common is me.

A friend, on seeing several romances strewn about my house, (although I think she was most horrified by the Harlequins), asked me, with great concern, if I weren't embarrassed to have them in plain view for everyone to see. Which of course, I wasn't. An askance look, a raised eyebrow prompted me to quote my grade 11 english teacher (oh how I loved that woman). "All reading is knowledge."

She said a lot more on the subject. Coming into a very large, mostly lower income high school. Reading wasn't exactly big for us cool punks. But she made it fun, "I don't care what you read. Read a book, comic or magazine. heck read the cereal box. Just tell me what you learned this week, even if it is only a new word. Just read."

So this is where I'm coming from with my love of reading, and why I feel so good about my reading habits. All reading is knowledge, and you can read what you like.

I'm still puzzled where my friends are coming from.

X

Comments:
I'll be honest and say I haven't read ANY classics. So as far as dinner conversation about them, I'd be hopeless.

I now read mainly Harlequin Romance books and can say that I've learnt a few things from them.

I read for enjoyment and for me that's romances.

Why the need to read classics? Don't know but I think you may have hit on it in your post.

Nicki
 
You need to distinguish between the classics and modern 'serious' fiction (the stuff that gets reviewed by NYT Book Review). Think about Mark Twain, or Dickens, or those Russian guys, or Conrad -- there was nothing plotless about those stories (depressing, yeah, but there's nothing wrong with that every so often).

I have to agree with pbw on the 'plotless' point as regards 'serious fiction'. Saul Bellow comes to mind. I hated Herzog and my wife tells me that Whatsisname, the Rain King was just as bad.

Why read the classics? You shouldn't do anything you don't enjoy. I find that I can learn things regarding the craft of writing -- humor from Twain, characterization from Dickens, and so forth. Once you get into it, these stories are enjoyable in their own right.

Don't tell me you haven't read Pride and Prejudice . . .
 
My father, a frustrated intellectual trapped in a blue collar job, subscribed to one of those readers digest book deals. Beautifully embossed, nearly leather bound volumes for pennies a month thingys.

I started reading them a) to impress my dad, and b) to impress my friends (with how I could step out of our norm and still be cool). Yes Doug, there I found the wonderful stories of Dickens, Twain and Austen, and even those Russian chaps (although I could never get into those as much... the whole cast of thousands and too-dour-to-live themes just depressed me).

Thing is, even though I started reading these works to feel self important and to impress (Hey, I was 14, give me a break) it did turn me on to reading, anything and everything, even your beloved Sci-fi. And I'm still completely in love with 18-19th century poetry. Romances speak to me in the same way. The fictionalisation of the ideal
 
Well, if it's any consolation, I'm from California. ;) Now you know what state to avoid for future friends, lol.

I read SOME classics. Sadly, I haven't read P&P. I've never read a word of Austen. I like the adaptions, so I can discuss her, but just fall right over when I'm presented a classic. Except Twain. I read so much of his short stories, lol, never had a better week of reading. :)

But yup, I'm a firm ill-educated cretin who can't stand Sparks and can't get past page one of the more popular contemporary serious fiction. I'm quite thankful to Oprah. Her books of the month are a definite list of Never Reads. :)

Smooches,
Dee
 
I'm quite thankful to Oprah. Her books of the month are a definite list of Never Reads. :)

Bwaaaahahahahahahaaaaaa, right there with ya on that one. tried about 4 of her recommendations before I realised she enjoys reading depressing stories. Probably keeps her mind off other woes, like, um, her weight.
 
I read everything. From Shakespeare to cereal packets. I've got two degrees in literature, I've taught it for ten years, and I can't understand people who are literary snobs.

And of course present company excepted, but by "literary snobs" I mean both people who look down on "popular" literature because it's "easy", and people who look down on "literary" literature because it's "depressing".

We read what we read because we read it. None of us should be afraid of trying something new of whatever genre. I like what your English teacher said, X..."All reading is knowledge."
 
And please God, that's the message I instil in my students, too. She sounds like a great woman.
 
Oh, I wholeheartedly agree with you, X. I just can't get into current 'literary' fiction either.

I've had entirely too much drama and too many depressing things in my life to want to read about other people's miseries.

Same reason I very rarely watch Dramas. Give me a sci-fi or fantasy epic (LoTR, anyone?), a comedy, or even occasionaly a sloppy romcom. I'm a much happier camper. *g*
 
the main difference? They are not royalty. YOU are, you bitch!
 
Oh Julie,
It was one of those moments, we've all had them, teachers that reached us. With that simple phrase she removed all barriers and societal built in prejudices from my (our) reading pool.

The boys could read their Conan type fantasy books/comics openly in class, as could the girls their romances. All that she asked of us was that we read. That kind of radical liberty in something as structured as school was, well, LOL, Liberating.

X
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?