.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

 

The Big League

or, playing with the grownups.

The last two weeks I've been receiving a crash course in promotion. It's big and scary but it has also helped to refocus my writer's brain to, well, writing.

As one of the few unpublished authors left in our critique group, The Belfry Collective, I volunteered to moderate part of our upcoming Author Day. The behind the scenes organisation for this event has been a real eye opener for me and has brought home, once again, that writing the damn book is perhaps the easiest part of being a writer, (and we all know how easy that is, right?). Getting it published, then once published, getting good sales are even more nerve wracking. However, doing it this way (as moderator), I get to see how it's all done without the added pressure of having my babies out there for consumption. Hopefully when it's really my turn to attempt something like this I'll know the ropes--what works, what doesn't etc.

On the writing front, the slugfest is over. It's time to get back into it. I'm even eager (and about time). My hiatus though, isn't entirely by choice. Summer is simply too hectic for me. My house turns into an hotel from late June to, well, I just waved off the last influx... or is that outflux? last week. After they left I begged dearest husband of mine not to invite anyone else to stay until at least Christmas time. Here's hoping.

One good thing that came out of my not-writing period however, was my reading-like-a-madwoman period. My TBR pile is now non existent. None of my favourite authors have new releases for me to read and so I'm kind of floundering. Need something to read. Need it, need it, need it! It's very very quiet in the house....

Yet with the quiet comes that wonderful urge to bond once more with my word program. The initial rush of formatting the document for The Manuscript. Inserting the header with those magical lines Title and Author. Hurriedly jotting down the scene outlines (that although raw, I've already come up with), and then, magically, typing Chapter One... sigh.

I'm off for now, ciao bellas

X

Comments:
That's a great opportunity X! Soo... I guess I'll go check the blog out... see what exactly this Author thing is that you're organizing. :)
 
LOL, Can I just call you a bitch who fills me with jealousy? No? Darn. LOL!

Congrats on the feeling, I've been looking for mine and it's waving from the light at the end of the tunnel. ;)

Now...get crackin'!
Dee
 
Need something to read? Lethem's Gun, with Occasional Music is the best thing I've read in recent months. It's science fiction, but it's SF lite, so don't cringe in horror.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?