.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

 

To My Surprise

This one's for Shannon because there had been no industry news regarding RWA Conference.

On Saturday morning of the conference I attended an Ellora's Cave orientation for writers hopeful of submitting to the publisher. What an eye opener that was. This orientation should have been given at a luncheon to dispell many many misconceptions that I'm sure others (like me) held.

Ellora's Cave DOES NOT accept erotica submissions. Now I'm still fuzzy on the distinctions between erotic romance vs romantica but that was one of those naive eye popping moments for me.

Ellora's Cave will not accept any story containing under 18 sex, even in historicals where it is culturally/socially accurate. The reasons for this one staggered me, but has to do with constantly defending content and accusations of pedophelia. I ask you, does any other house publishing historicals come under this scrutiny from moral watchdogs?

Editors Raelene (EC) and Heather (CP) answered many questions from the attendees and the orientation lasted a little over an hour. It was by far the most informative session I attended at conference (and it wasn't even officially listed). It was wonderful to sit in and get a snapshot of a publisher that, in my opinion, will continue to grow and do big things in the industry. After listening to how the publishing house worked, the contracts and areas of negotiation, I hope I'm lucky enough to get 'on board' with this crew.

X

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?