.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

 

Downtown

I'm in the big city, folks.

Well, if 25k people constitute the big city (and for my purposes of whining, it does). So here I am. Stranded in a city I don't know well and given carte blanche by DH to shop (not what you think. We're doing renovations and need everything). He's generously given me the use of the car... which would be fine if I had any clue how to drive in traffic, or lanes, deal with stop lights and ped crossings...

Did I mention I live in a small town? We have peak minute traffic. Road rage is being made to wait at an intersection while 5 cars pass. Mostly we drive down the middle of the road unless there's a car coming in the opposite direction, then we politely move over and share the road.

Anyhoo, Whitehorse. Big scary city. Apparently there's lot's to see and do, Sadly I'm so fixated on not hitting anyone or anything I never take my eyes off the road long enough to look around. But today I'm determined to settle down and RELAX whilst driving.

Sorry, not much of a blog... more of a stress reliever for me than entertaining for you. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have something fun to talk about. Like how I got my revenge by maxing out the credit card.

Have fun,

X

Comments:
I feel your pain, X. Okay, so my town has 23k people, but I sometimes have to drive in Canberra or even worse, Sydney, where the drivers are all manic and I spend the entire time with hands clenched around the steering wheel, praying.

And then there's the shopping - I get a glazed, 'roo in the headlights kind of look when I'm faced with a choice or more than two of anything. Had to walk out of the underwear section of Target in Canberra once, 'cos I just couldn't cope with rows upon rows of bras.
 
I hope you survived!
 
whoo-hoo - glad you're back! was going through withdrawels...ack.

you need to take a half-blind, non-driving but great at navigating, chatty buddy with you next time. someone who keeps you too busy wanting to throttle them than to worry with oncoming traffic and getting lost.

welcome "back" to blogland. glad to see you're feeling better.
 
My sympathies, X. I used tah could handle it in my Noo Yawk days. Now I'm a traffic weenie too.

Bron, your post reminded me of that scene in Moscow On The Hudson where Robin Williams' Russian defector faints upon seeing the multitudes of coffee choices in the supermarket.

Didn't know that could happen in real life. LOL.
 
ROFL, I wish I could give advice but I'm not a driver at all. Can't take the stress on my lame little ticker. (Or even lamer wallet--good lord, insurance costs are insane!) I have coronarys when people take too wide turns on the inner turn lane.

I just find it hard to picture such a small town. I mean, I lived on the reservation, but for the couple thousand of people there--what, 6, maybe 7?--there was still a two lane highway, lol. Here even my city streets have a minimum of four lanes, usually opening up to 6. (And you wonder why I'm a car wuss, lol) I can't picture a whole town operating on a single street light.

It'll get better doll, especially when you're home safe with cool new stuff and a purple hubby with a CC bill, lol!

Smooches,
Dee
 
I'm sure you could sneak in some cool gifties for your bestest buds on that credit card bill, and nobody would even notice...

*innocent blink*

On the driving thing, I love being behind the wheel. After battling Toronto's mean streets for several years, nothing fazes me now. Someday I'm gonna do a kick-ass road trip somewhere...
 
Girl, I'm sorry but you can't call Whitehorse the big city. Nope. No can do.

But you can whine about moose on the roads. That's the real reason you drive down the middle of the roads, isn't it? So you can swerve in any direction just in case some dumb quadraped stumbles onto the road....
 
Moose, huh. In my small town it's kangaroos. Except they don't so much stumble onto the road as leap and bound. Whic begs the question, do you have moose bars on the front of your trucks?
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?