.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, July 14, 2005

 

Touch Myself

Ego anyone?

Okay, I'm pathetic. I freely admit it. I've been stuck on a plot hole for weeks. Weeks! And then a friend asked for something to read and I sent her what I had of this story. She loved it. And that's all it took. With those few words of praise, I went from loathing opening the document, to stare fruitlessly for a few hours, typing and then deleting one sentence after another, to, writing like a frenzied demon.

It was exhilirating, it was liberating, it was... unbelievably shallow.

That I needed, wanted, that affirmation so badly just proves to me how insecure I am about my writing. Which on one hand pisses me off because I'm not generally an insecure person. And yet... Okay, she was a friend and unlikely to say anything truly horrible about my writing, but I couldn't have been happier if she'd been a NY editor. Sigh.

I'm a sad, needy, dreadful excuse of a writer who ought to know better.

But I'll take the praise just the same... might even hug it for a bit.

X

Comments:
No, X, you're not the only one. Hearing someone say, "wow, that's excellent" is like winning the lottery. To varying degrees, anyone pursuing any type of artistic venture wants her ego stroked. It's human nature. So revel in it.
I know I do. *eg*
(Not that I hear it that often, mind, but still...)
 
damn, you're good...you can alway get a career writing limericks. not many people would try to rhyme rhapsodical and hypothetical in a ditty -- and actually get away with it.
 
X!! I just found your blog. :) Praise is a good thing, and I'm glad you got some to get you out of your mire. :)
 
aww thanks guys.
I think I'm just suffering the 'no forward movement blues' and those encouraging words got the juices flowing again.
Kate, Kate, Kate. It was rhapsodisical.
A big welcome to Lilith. I found God and Consequences through...umm, either Smart Bitches, or PBW. I'm hooked. One of your cited articles was on the Daily show tonight. Too cool.
And Danica, glad you found me.
 
Yay! :)
 
No.

No matter what kind of artist you are, we do our work for an audience. Think on it? Have you ever met a writer or an artist who WANTED to starve in a closet and not let anyone see their work?

Me, either.

Feedback from the audience is important to our creativity.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?