.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

 

In The Air Tonight

Hi again,

When I'm not writing, homeschooling the Spawn, bonding with the dent in my couch, or doing my best to do nothing at all, I travel. Last weekend I flew to Yellowknife for a friends 50th birthday party. It was a grand time and I met up with old friends, and made a few new ones as well. Also going on that weekend was the biannual float plane fly in.

My husband is an old pilot and still toys with a small float plane. There's an old joke regarding plane companiesand the operation thereof...

How do you make a small fortune in the airline industry?

Start with a large one... budum-dum.

Anyhoo, back to the fly in.
There were pilots from all over the territories, as well as other parts of Canada, and the states. Planes were the conversation of the day, and although this would usually make my eyes glaze over, there was something magical about the weekend. The ambiance of comraderie, relaxation, and eagerness to be there was apparent. I sat and listened to the oldtimers talk of their exploits, or rib each other good naturedly about some of their less than heroic moments. I watched the respect with which the 'now' generation of charter operators spoke to them and admired their acheivements at flying in a time and place--often without radio, fancy GPS or instrumentation at all. There was very little, 'when I was a lad' attitude. I think that's what struck me the most. The respect went both ways. For all their fondness and attachment to the favourite plane, they'd have traded it in a heart beat to have flown with the newest conveniences available today.

When not down at the docks (oh, hush!), we were cathcing up with several friends. We celebrated Canada day and watched a most interesting parade. It didn't have floats so much as old time cars with plaquards proclaiming whom was inside, gaily decorated bicycles, and group marches by several community organisations, but it lasted a good long while and put our local parade to shame. (the fire brigade, the kids on bikes, scouts, cadets and the requisite 3 legged dog)

and a fun time was had by all.

I love my life.

X

Comments:
It sounds wonderful! I've always wanted to ride in one of those float planes. They are the kind that come flying down upon the water, making that magnificent spray and splash?

I think you should include this in one of your stories, if you haven't already. :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?