.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

 

Abide With Me

and have enlivening conversation.

Anyone who knows me knows that summer time (for me) means our house converts into a hotel for anyone wanting to visit or revisit the north. This week we've had a man who went to school up here with my husband staying with us. He wanted to show his son where he grew up.

The two of them have been delightful guests, even if they have given me a few moments for pause. In that I mean, they are 'good' people. They go to church, they eat healthy, they monitor what they watch on TV, and moderate their speech. I'm sure they felt at times that they were passing through the seven gates of hell coming here. yet they have been nothing but pleasant.

Tonight I had the rare pleasure of discussing religion (with an evangelical) in a respectful, and intellectual way. Conversations like this are my stimulii. I'm endlessly fascinated by, and cursed with being able to see, anothers point of view. This doesn't mean I don't hold strong opinions of my own (nor am I likely to be converted), but it does give me an insight into understanding the 'other' side. For me, even though they've been here a week, tonight was the highlight of their stay.

They're gone tomorrow, and I have four whole days until the next influx of guests arrive. The next lot, though, are booze hounds. Margaritas on the deck is all they'll require. Vivé le difference! (oh bite me if I spelt it wrong)

X

Comments:
What a wonderful way to think of the visitors--as adventures in conversation or booze. Yippee! Bring on the fun.

Me--I'd go bonkers. Too many hours around other people and I tune out. If the hours stretch into days, I start to take bites out of the furniture.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?