.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

 

Why Can't We Be Friends?

During my power blogging this morning I came across a comment that joggled my thought processes. To paraphrase (because I can't be bothered to retrace my steps and find the actual line) it was something along the lines of, why can't all us writers just get along.

My first thought was, yeah, that would be great. Let's eliminate the bitch factor and just be nice. But it was quickly followed by, why should we? Why should we all like each other. Those were my first thoughts and you can see I immediately made it about personalities instead of professional.

I've been to some awesomely dull blogs, full of sweetness and light and praising the lord. Obviously not my cup of tea. I've been to web sites that were giddy and silly and as close to the web world version of giggling as you can get. I ran like hell. I've been to blogs that were so freakin intellectual I felt about as bright as belly button lint. Again, personality instead of professional.

Why can't we as writers put aside our personalities and be nice to one another? In great part I think it has to do with the medium in which we interact these days. Almost every writer today is at the end of our fingertips. They're accessible and judgable by the click of a web link. Our opinions are out there and immediate, and easily responded to. We have (or the medium has) inextricably connected our personalities to our profession.

So what's my point? I'm not sure I have one. Unless it's that why should we hold writers (or any demographic in society) up to different standards or expectations about how they interact with one another.

Embrace the differences. Not because you agree or disagree, but because they're there.

X

Comments:
When did you get a blog? (Never mind...there's your first post.)

How did I miss this? Where was my "BTW, Shan, I've got a blog now" memo? Sheesh. I feel like a turtle!

And if we were ALL friends, we'd have nothing to blog about! (j/k *g*)
 
omg! I'm all squidgy.. someone followed my link.

Shannon, I'm officially your slave.

X
 
Well, well, well, look who we have here. ;-) Agree on the nicey-nicey factor on blogs. B.O.R.I.N.G. Although, the I Am The Snarkiest of all, gets kinda old fast, too. But I'd pick snark over yawnsville anyday.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?