.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

 

R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

There has been a lot of talk lately on the blogs regarding Romance and respect, or lack thereof. This isn't a particular problem for me, because the notion of anyone being able to make me feel small for reading or writing romance is simply laughable, but I do see the point. Often, the covers can be appalling and the titles verge on the purple.

Kassia Kroszer wrote an excellent article at Romancing the Blog. Other blogs that talked about this were Smart Bitches, and Wendy Durin, the Super Librarian. So I thought instead of reiterating what others have already said I'd go hunting for covers that won't trigger the blush factor. Now I have a fairly low blush factor so you might find them just a titch shameful.

Perhaps, in the future, I'll have the necessary skills to imbed the graphics here. Sadly, I'm not there yet. I'll be impressed as hell if the links work.

So I checked out Barnes and Noble top 10 romances for the day. I found six out of the ten that I would consider sophisticated both in image and title. At Amazon I only found two. Over at Cerridwen Press I only found one. (Note: This is not an endorsement of the stories within, merely an opinion on image)

Edit: I just read over at smart bitches (link above), where clinch covers generally sell better. Now as an author which would you prefer, charmingly tasteful covers, or mega sales?

And I have to agree whole heartedly with Ms. Kroszer regarding reviews. Reviewers have to stop the genteel maxim of 'if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all' mentality. Go out on a limb and Give Ms. Roberts a bad review for "The Villa". Hello? what the hell was that offal.. some sort of contractual obligation? because it certainly wasn't up to her usual standards (yes I'm a fan, but that was a complete rip). Actually, do your readers a favour if you have to stick to that maxim, and stop reviewing every piece of utter crap that comes across your desk. (I know of a few review sites where the policy is to always give a positive review, regardless). Recommend/endorse books that you feel are top quality, please, I'm begging you. In this way everyone wins. The author, the reader, and the reviewer.

X

Comments:
I am of the opinion that if they don't like it they don't have to look. If I were a writer I would want a cover that is going to interest readers and tempt them to buy my book.

As a reader I couldn't care less what other people think of the type of books I choose to read for entertainment. It they don't like the covers or are embarrassed by them they don't have to look.

AS for the reviewers only giving good reviews ... as a reader I hate it. I want an honest assesment of the book not a glossy oh how wonderful. I go out and buy the book and it is not at all what I expected. If it's not the best work that author has put out I want to know ... if I like the author I will usually buy the book anyway just to see that even writers aren't perfect.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?