.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Saturday, June 25, 2005

 

Love Plus One

Or, how we can't define romance.

I've been writing seriously for a little over four years. During that time I have made some amazing contacts, and have had the benefit of some utterly bitching feedback from some awesome writers. This year I felt I'd reached the stage where I could join a writing organisation and converse competently and with some confidence in regards to my profession. I joined RWA with a certain personal glow of 'making it'. I was envious of others as they talked about the resources available to them, the networking, and just the sheer force of experience invested there, and I wanted in.

My reality has been quite different. I find pertinent information not readily available to me. The lists (what folk familiar to cyber space might call message boards or forums), are not quite open discussions. They're open to the comfort level of the moderator (at least that's what it seems to me) with very little in the way of negative or dissenting voices. In fact I couldn't find any discussions on the lists in regards to the two hot topics that have done the rounds of the blogworld lately. Graphical Standards... and now the new definition of romance survey.

I freely admit I'm new to the organisation and I'm not entirely sure how it works, but so far I'm less than impressed. They have a website. They have access to instantly informing and responding to their membership on issues via this website. And yet, they chose to send this survey out in their monthly periodical 'Romance Writer's Report'. I'll be lucky to receive this in the mail by late July, yet many are already talking about it. I went to the site hoping to get the information there. No deal, (and if it's on the site somewhere, please point me in the right direction), so my only source of information is what's appearing on members websites and blogs. I emailed the appropriate party requesting I be emailed the survey but I haven't received a reply yet. (granted I'll give them until Monday).

Living at the end of my computer, and not having instant access to this information is annoying to say the least, and I don't like being annoyed. So I'm sitting here asking myself what I've gained by joining RWA except an association with an organisation I'm fast becoming embarrassed to be a part of. My contacts in the writing industry are still out there, my access to expertise hasn't really altered, so I'm thinking all I've gained is a trophy status. And for what, to be embarrassed publicly not once but twice in the same month?

A few people have assured me that this is a storm that will blow over. There have been others storms and scandals, and this too shall pass. That may be true, but I'm here now, and my gut has a nasty clench in it wondering what the hell I've got myself into. Frankly I was happier without RWA screwing up my professional image (well they say ignorance is bliss). I can see in future, if this nonsense continues, writers proclaiming to other professionals, "I write romance... oh don't worry, I'm not a member of RWA.", and immediately their respect quotient will rise.

X

Comments:
You're right, if they can't even utilize the resources they have to competently and efficiently communicate with people on top of the apparent right wing slant in their policies, it's not a good organization.

Sounds to me like maybe the board isn't very internet savvy? Perhaps a change of the guard will help that?

M
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?